27 May 2008

Radmarathon

Last Sunday (May 25) was the date of the Mondsee Radmarathon, a 200km jaunt around the Salzburgerland and Oberösterreich lakes district, and I was happy enough with a 71st placing and time of 6hr 6min 52sec.


It was a beautiful ride, with a peppering of serious climbs along the route. I hung onto the lead group until the first major mountain which was the Postalm, which at 1300m and 13km long was the biggest peak of the day. After a 80km/h descent, I jumped in with the second group until about the 140km mark where we hit a steep nugget of a hill and I got blown out the back.


The next group didn't take long to come up to me and I stayed with them until the finish, despite the hideously steep and seemingly never-ending final mountain. I ended up crossing the line with the owner of my local bike shop, although I didn't tell him about the annoying rubbing noise caused by my front deralieur that he didn't fit quite right the previous week.

Next targets will be one or both of these two rides:
The Trattberger Stier
The Eddy Merckx Classic

No comments: