5 August 2008

Trattbergerstier

Second race of the season and it really didn't go too well. The Trattbergerstier is only 82km, but takes in 1850m of vertical gain. I got into oxygen debt on the first short and sharp hill, and never really recovered properly. Unfortunately this race finishes on a 20km long climb that rises approximately 900m. The last eight kilometres are particularly steep and unpleasant with five hairpin turns and by this stage I was not exactly enjoying myself.

About 250 riders, including many from my club RC Hallein took to the start.

Halfway up before the steep section.

On the final hairpin before the finish.

Reading from the race: heart rate on the top, altitude on the bottom, both plotted against distance.

I ended up mid pack, a long way down on the leader. My training has been significantly altered since this race, however. After consulting my old coach, it became clear that my upper levels were not getting the work out they need if I am to race at a decent level. The past few years have been all about enjoying riding and therefore basically just cruising around at a medium level. Therefore my endurance is fine, but I need more higher intensity workouts.

It feels very strange to be so far off the standard I once was, not that I was ever that incredible. But it would be nice to get some of the old racing sensations back again. Schau ma moi.

Enzianhütte at the top. They do a good Kaspressknödelsuppe.

No comments: