27 August 2010

Losing my English

Although my German is far from great and I speak a fair amount of English per day, I really notice parts of my English vocabulary disappearing. For instance, this morning I couldn't remember how to spell 'acronym' - I thought it was 'anacronym', whatever that is.

And the other day I described our baby as coming on in 'heaps and bounds' not 'leaps and bounds'.

Although it could just be down to me losing my marbles in general, it's a weird feeling. Perhaps my brain can't cope with two languages. For every German word I learn, do I lose an English one?

3 comments:

Katie said...

oh me too! hopefully with our powers combined we'll always find the right word but what if we both lose the same ones...our child might be a Gerglish speaker. Uh oh.

Anonymous said...

old cyclists never die - there slowly lose their powers of speech. This ailment is inherited from the mother's side - in this case examples have included comments about people who: serve fuzzy drinks, who spread their sperms when they sneeze and shovel the cards when playing canasta. Congratulations on a good ride despite the handicap of fatherood.

Herrnick said...

Thanks 'anonymous', I'm planning my comeback already!