20 November 2010

Not the first

So it seems that Battle Cranks is not Austria's first roller racing event. Bit of a bummer since I really had researched it and come up with nothing. However, two ex-pros have contacted me to say that during the 50s and 60s there were such events, and in fact one of them raced against German sprint giant Michael Hubner (and won!) in an exhibition event in 1992.

Also, since I began planning the event, there have been two very small goldsprint races in Vienna in bars called Hanky Panky.

But whatever, mistake acknowledged and on with the fun. The mix of people signed up is fascinating: ex-pro roadies, super-endurance athletes, a paracycling champion, the local hairdresser and now a messenger from Vienna who won the Hanky Panky races.

Will this event be a success? Keine Ahnung, no idea. But I have high hopes, and I believe it will be a good night.

No comments: